11 February 2010

Reversible Basket Weave Infinity

Back on left and front on right
Ok...so this one is super simple and comes out beautifully.  I think the basket weave will have to be used again soon.  Technically it's not reversible, but it's too beautiful on the back not to call it reversible.  This can be done thick or thin so I'm not putting a gauge...just go with what you like.

This version was made on size 11 needles in the round.   I have used two strands of Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool held together.  Just wanted something a little bulkier....although this isn't super bulky. My version is 29" folded in half x 6" wide.  Note although the basket weave can be done straight, this pattern is in the round. When I have a moment I'll add the straight version.

Front
This pattern is very simple, however remember when you do your first round not to twist your cast on row and place a marker before you start the first row.

K - Knit
S - Slip (purl wise)
wyif - with yarn in front

Back







Cast on 187 sts.  (You may cast on as many as you like for the size you'd like, but it must be an odd number).

Row 1:  *K1, S1 wyif.  Repeat from * until you reach your marker.
Row 2:  *S1 wyif, K1.  Repeat from * until you reach your marker.







NOTE:  you slip the stitch with the yarn in front.  remember to move the yarn to the back to make your knit stitch.  Is simple but want to be clear.

Cast off when you reach the width you'd like.


12 comments:

Linda said...

I actually like the back better than the front but would like to use worsted and smaller needles; will adjust the number of stitches.

Christina said...

I agree with you...was a pleasant surprise. Worsted on smaller needles will make it much tighter. Enjoy the knitting of it!

Deb said...

How would you change this to flat knitting? It's a beautiful texture.

Christina said...

Thanks, Deb. I haven't posted that pattern yet. I will add it to this soon.

Leigh/BlueDragonfly said...

Love the look of this texture! May play with 2 colors held together!

Christina said...

Thank you.....please do post a picture. would love to see it.

R. Techie Harris said...

I am practicing on a patch of 29 stitches.

When I follow the directions, I get ridges of knit stitches on both sides.
Shouldn't the pattern be every row K1, S1 wytf..
Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Christina said...

Hi there...this is knit in the round so there should be no edge stitches. You may have them when you're practicing on your swatch but following along with the pattern when knitting in the round. Hope this helps.

R. Techie Harris said...


There are no edge stitches. What I meant is that the pattern has rows of knit stitches every other stitch.

So if I want to knit the scarf in one long piece about 6 inches wide and sew together at the end,
do I still cast on an odd number of stitches, and is the pattern the same or different?

The pattern looks different

Christina said...

You can try to just do the edge stitches, but I can't tell you what works out unless I do it and I can't right now. I'll post if I can do a scarf.

Christina said...

You can try to just do the edge stitches, but I can't tell you what works out unless I do it and I can't right now. I'll post if I can do a scarf.

lidia said...

It is beautiful! I made one using #11 needles and also cast on 187 stitches. It ended up being 22 inches (not 29 like yours). I am not a tight knitter and don't know why the big difference in length.