10 May 2010

Maryland Sheep and Crab Festival

Ok...Mum and I spent the first weekend in May (fake Mother's Day weekend), in Maryland for the Sheep and Wool Festival.  Let me start by saying that while fondling yarn and color matching all day is good times, there was also getting my Mum out of the house and crabs...crabs, crabs, crabs....there, Maryland is full of crabs....  Several crabs gave their lives that weekend so that we could crack and clean and hammer and have something to go with our beer and wine.  The weather on Friday was perfect and our Annapolis excursion and crab hunting was sunny, breezy and seaside...what more could I ask for.....ok...too much, I know.

On to the festival...I had really been looking forward to the weekend since my dear friend Sue told me "You have to go".  I talked Mum into it and started booking flights.  Well, 3 gazillion people had the same idea as me.  They came from everywhere....they gathered for yarn and spinning and sheep......and.....lamb burgers.  Yup, shearing on one side...sizzling on the other.  So, the kink in the event was the weather....90 degrees and sunny.  Great for the beach, not so much for the Maryland Sheep and WOOL Festival.  We enjoyed what we could get to and picked up some groovy and very soft alpaca lace yarn and wonder peace fleece......and then, we pooped out.

Of course, Sunday came and it was time for Mum and I to head in opposite directions....oh, wait...she made it, I however, had a canceled fight, a rebook to Birmingham, AL and a drive through lighting and rain at midnight....with, my wonderful new yarn, a contented body full of crab and a smile for having spent these wonderful moments with my Mum.

No comments: